whoisjobe

Friday, May 05, 2006

insane in the membrane

Over four months ago I was diagnosed with A(ttention).D(eficit).D(isorder). This was hardly news to my friends and coworkers; they'd dealt with me for long enough to know that I was perpetually dazed and amused by Jobe's world. I'd ask questions and not wait for the answers, return phone calls two days too late, and fire off myriad distracting emails chock full of nonsense. I was the kid who everyone would purposely lie to in order to prevent stalling the departure a half hour . Books or Pico might utter, "yeah, Jobe, be at my place at 8:30," when in all actuality, the caravan wasn't heading out till 9:00. Throughout high school, my folders were always a mess, my assignments forever late, and my room always cluttered with laundry (wait what else is new).

My parents and family in general couldn't quite grasp the diagnosis, writing it off as another excuse for what could be fixed with good old fashioned discipline; like in the old days, when millions of children and stockbrokers weren't flying high on legal speed. I've many thoughts on the past and how certain longheld ethics and beliefs are irrelevant and must evolve or get the fcuk out the way. I'd expound upon them but I already have, in the 10 unfinished essays that litter "my documents." Instead, I'll follow through with a task I was supposed to have complete on January 21st of this year. It's only been four months, what else did you expect. I've yet to implement any of the items on this list save finding a positive addiction (crack, I mean exercise), so asking any of y'all to investigate whether these might apply in your life would be hypocritical. Read it, use it, pass it along, roll it up and smoke it....do with it as you may...i'm signing off....enough rambling for one day.


12 Attention Deficit Disorder Management Tips.


1. Work With a Coach to Help Organize, Stay On Task, and Progress.
2. Seek Encouragement and Listen to Feedback.
3. Be yourself. Joke. Don't Feel Bound to Conventions.
4. O.H.I.O. Only Handle it Once.
5. Anticipate Failure as the Cost of Doing Business.
6. Prioritize: A.K.A. Make Deadlines AND Meet them!
7. Capture Thoughts and Ideas (always have a notepad)
8. Allow Positive Addictions.
9. N.D.I. (no decision is irrevocable): Break Negative Patterns of Obsessing over Imagined Problems.
10. Establish external structure creatively, and maintain it.
11. Prevent Premature Closure.
12. Seek social support: friends, clubs, classes, groups, church, etc.
--

-jobe

"Worry is the misuse of imagination."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home