whoisjobe

Thursday, May 26, 2005

a pimp looking for his juice

Elm and State St.
Chicago
11:30 PM....Wednesday, Indy Rock Night at Elm St Liquors
about 59 degrees a slight breeze, the sound of an ambulance in the distance
as I exit the club I had been waiting in for 2 hours with hopes of bidding a friend, a fashionista, bon voyage as she begins the next phase of her life, chasing her dreams to california...Los Angeles..

thinking about her being late and my leaving and most likely not seeing her again for a long long time, I'm distracted

"you best give me my fucking money bitch," he's crowding visciously close to her face......is he going to slap her, "you aint give me my money, who you think you is you worthless bitch, thaz right, im talkin to you...fucking bitch think she just play a man for a fool, i show you the foo...." i can see the terror in her eyes although it stikes me more as the look a depraved dog might give to a passer by, unsure whether to bark and bite or beg for food...caught in an instant unable to escape it's own cruel fate..

a poorly dressed slightly overweight bar manager from the neighboring disaster, also known as bachelorette hq, offers his two cents....."That's what happens when you don't give your pimp his money," followed by a snicker, a twirl of the toothpick and an I'm too cool yet I'm Irish not italian shrug of the shoulders.....(as if to say woah, eh...marrone.)

i allow his two cents to sink in for two seconds before coming to the realization that he's as big a fool as the pimp. i feel shame inside, shame and rage...unsure how to react to such a poor showing of humanity. A woman being further degraded by half a man....a man whose career path is glorified by the likes of Snoop Dogg or 50 Cent, perpetuated to our nations youth....my sister and her friends exposed to such insipid crap pawned by money hungry record execs as street life glamourized to a funky fresh beat, the kids love it...let's cross market with Mountain Dew.

The harsh reality of the Chicago streets sets my mind on a path towards sin....understanding how it is that man can truly be absolved of all his sins without atonement, without penitence, without exhibiting a desire to change? Why should this low life have the same place in heaven as a schoolteacher who works for low pay, endures years of stress and torment, smiling all the while and inspiring our nation's youth? Where's the incentive to be a good person in this world if we're all destined to be forgiven for our sins?

these thoughts circulate through my mind for a bit right before I open my car door, step inside, and realize that there's nothing I can do about it. Ignorance is all around me. Ignorance prevails on Earth....majority rules.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home